Dangerous Drugs And Medical Devices
Morrow & Sheppard are privileged to represent ordinary people who are needlessly injured by drugs and devices that are rushed to market.
If you suspect that you or a loved one may have fallen ill or died because of a drug or medical device, please click here for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your legal rights.
Products Liability Questions?
Injured parties and family members affected by dangerous drugs and medical devices are often entitled to bring “strict liability” claims against the product manufacturers and sellers. Please click here for answers to common questions regarding these cases.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration Recalls
A recall is when a manufacturer or distributor removes a product from the market. A company may recall a drug or medical device voluntarily, or the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) may request or order the recall.
There are 3 different classifications of FDA recalls:
Class I recall: issued where there is a reasonable probability that use of or exposure will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.
Class II recall: issued when the use of or exposure may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences, or probability of serious adverse health consequences appears remote based on currently available evidence.
Class III recall: issued when use of or exposure appears unlikely to cause adverse health consequences based on currently available evidence.
Recent Issues With Dangerous Drugs
Dangerous drugs are sold every year. Some are recalled, some are not. Pharmaceutical companies continue to sell these drugs despite dangerous side effects, banking on the fact that they will not get sued, or that they will profit vastly more than they will pay in lawsuit settlements.
Recent drugs identified as having potentially dangerous side effects include:
- Abilify — antipsychotic drug manufactured by Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. that may cause compulsive gambling
- Benicar – blood pressure drug manufactured by Daiichi Sanko, Inc. that can cause serious side effects including gastrointestinal problems
- Cymbalta – depression and pain drug manufactured by Eli Lilly that may cause a variety of serious withdrawal symptoms when discontinued, including seizures and blurry vision
- Ethicon morcellators – surgical device used in hysterectomies and myomectomies spreads cancer.
- Risperdal – antipsychotic drug manufactured by Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Pharmaceuticals that has serious potential side effects including causing men to grow breasts
- Talcum powder – manufactured by Johnson & Johnson and Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. and may cause ovarian cancer
- Xarelto – blood thinner manufactured by Bayer HealthCare AG that may cause serious side effects including internal bleeding, stroke, heart attack, and death
If you or a loved one has taken any of the above drugs, or any drug that you believe has caused illness, injury, or death, please contact us now for a free, confidential consultation.
Recent Medical Device Issues
Like dangerous drugs, dangerous medical devices are sold every year. Some are recalled, some are not. Companies continue to sell these devices despite dangerous side effects, hoping that they will not get sued, or that they will profit vastly more than they will pay in lawsuit settlements. Some examples of medical device issues include the following:
- FreeStyle diabetes test strips – manufactured by Abbott Laboratories, these devices produce inaccurately low test results for blood glucose levels, raising the risk of hypoglycemia and potentially leading to unconsciousness, seizures, or death
- Mirena intrauterine contraceptive device – manufactured by Bayer HealthCare, these devices may cause serious injuries including uterus perforation, pelvic inflammatory disease, and ovarian cysts
- Calaxo Bone Screw – this ACL injury screw may cause serious surgery complications
- Cordis Cypher Stent – this device may cause clotting, resulting in serious injuries and death
- Covidien ventilator – the Puritan Bennett 840 Series ventilator for critical care has a software glitch that results in patients improperly having to breathe on their own
- DePuy Hip & Knee Replacement – the metal on this metal hip replacement releases metal shavings into nearby tissues and blood; the knee replacement fractures and loosens, rendering the device unable to hold weight
- GE Healthcare Multi-Absorber Original Disposable anesthesia product attachment – intended to remove carbon dioxide as a patient exhales, these devices contain a thin wall condition, leading to small holes in the water tube, resulting in loss of anesthetic gases, ventilations, and oxygenation for patients
- Hospira GemStar Pumps – intended to deliver IV fluids, these devices contain numerous potentially deadly defects including a leaky battery charge and drifting pressure sensor calibration; these issues can cause serious injury and even death
- Johnson & Johnson Ethicon power morcellators – intended to remove tissue during laparoscopic gynecological surgeries (hysterectomy or myomectomy), these devices can spread cancer
- Medtronic device guidewires used in coronary angioplasty procedures – these devices have surface coatings that can divide and detach, causing serious injury or death
- Medtronic Infuse bone graft – may cause a variety of serious injuries and death
- Medtronic Defibrillator – wires detach causing serious injury and death
- St. Jude Medical Inc. Riata defibrillator – wires prematurely erode, causing short circuits, malfunction, and death
- Stryker Orthopaedics hip devices – defective metal-on-metal design can cause injuries
- Tandem insulin cartridge – leaks and causes injuries
- Transvaginal mesh manufactured by American Medical Systems, Inc; C.R. Bard, Inc; Boston Scientific; Johnson & Johnson, Inc. – can cause serious side effects including bleeding, pain, and organ perforation
If you or a loved one has used any of these medical devices, or any medical device that you believe has caused illness, injury, or death, please contact us now for a free, confidential consultation.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation