Lawyers in Houston, TX for Victims of Maritime and Offshore Chemical Burns

Chemical burns can be extremely painful and have lasting, long-term physical and emotional effects. As an offshore or maritime worker, you likely face risks for serious chemical burns on a daily basis. If you have suffered a chemical burn at work, you deserve to be compensated for your medical bills, lost income and other damages. Our experienced Houston chemical injury lawyers can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.

Causes of Chemical Burns

On oil rigs and vessels in the Gulf of Mexico, and at ports all along the Gulf coast, maritime workers are regularly exposed to a number of liquid substances and gases that can lead to severe external and internal chemical burns. Some of the most common risks include ingestion, inhalation and skin contact with:

  • Ammonia
  • Bleach
  • Gas fumes
  • Hydrofluoric and hydrochloric acids
  • Industrial cleaners and solvents
  • Nitric acid
  • Potassium hydroxide
  • Sulfuric acid

Common Symptoms of Chemical Burns

Many individuals find it difficult to diagnose themselves with chemical burns. The symptoms of a chemical burn often do not begin immediately; and, especially if you never had a chemical come into contact with your skin, it may not immediately be obvious what is causing your condition.

If you suspect a possible chemical burn and you experience any of the following symptoms, you should see a doctor as soon as possible:

  • Burns, blisters or rashes on the skin
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Seizures
  • Severe pain
  • Signs of shock

Seeking Compensation for Chemical Burns

If you suffered a chemical burn at port or onboard a ship or rig in the Gulf of Mexico, you may be eligible to seek no-fault benefits from your employer. The Jones Act and the Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (the “Longshore Act”) may entitle seamen and other maritime workers to claim benefits regardless of the cause of their injury, and they also afford injured workers the ability to seek additional compensation if someone was negligent in causing their chemical burns. For maritime workers who are injured onboard vessels at sea, general maritime laws may provide additional opportunities to seek compensation as well.

Do I Need a Lawyer for My Chemical Burn Injury Claim?

While the Jones Act and the Longshore Act may provide for certain no-fault benefits, most employers won’t pay without a fight. Their top priority is always the bottom line, and the last thing their executives want to do is acknowledge and pay for an employee’s job-related injury.

In addition, no-fault benefits under the Jones Act and Longshore Act are limited, and to obtain full compensation for your chemical burn you will likely need to file a negligence-based claim against a third party or your employer. An experienced maritime injury lawyer will be able to conduct a thorough investigation, identify the party (or parties) that are to blame for your chemical burn, and pursue maximum compensation for your losses.

Request a Free Consultation with a Lawyer at Morrow & Sheppard LLP

At Morrow & Sheppard LLP, we represent offshore and maritime workers who have suffered job-related injuries, including chemical burns. If you would like to learn more about your rights and see about seeking financial compensation for your losses, call (800) 489-2216 or contact us online to request a free consultation today.

Get Your Free Case Evaluation

Dangerous Drugs & Products Blog

Morrow & Sheppard LLP - Trial Attorneys

Time is of the Essence

Don’t let your rights be jeopardized.

Yes I want to
tell you my story
No Thanks
I will wait for help