Offshore Injury Update — May 2017

Ocean Evolution

Maritime injury lawyers at Morrow & Sheppard LLP keep abreast of developments in the industries that affect our clients.

This month, our lawyers will cover Oceaneering’s new deepwater Gulf of Mexico contract, and an injury suffered by a commercial diver offshore Louisiana.

Oceaneering Awarded New Offshore Contract

In May 2017, Shell Offshore awarded a new contract to Oceaneering to install flowline hardware on Shell’s Appatomax complex.

The contract will include “installation of crossing mattresses, flowline jumpers, manifolds, and subsea buoyance.” The Oceaneering vessel Ocean Evolution has been slotted to perform this work.

Jones Act Compliant Vessel—Ocean Evolution

The Ocean Evolution is a Jones Act compliant, U.S. flagged vessel. It is equipped with two work class ROVs rated to work in more than 13,000 feet of deep water. It also has a 250 pound crane and can accommodate 2,200 Metric Tons of deck weight at 1.5M draft.

The vessel’s crew complement is 110 Jones Act seamen. The vessel keeps station with a Kongsberg Kpos 22 DP2 system, Rolls Royce thruster controls, and a Siemens PMA 300 Power Management System.

About Oceaneering

Oceaneering, Inc. is “global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.”

The company’s mission statement is to “mission is to increase the net wealth of its shareholders by providing safe, cost-effective, and quality technical solutions satisfying customer needs worldwide.”

Based in Houston, Texas, Oceaneering employs around 12,000 people worldwide. The company made $2.3 billion in revenue in 2016.

The company has U.S. offices in Hanover, Maryland; Morgan City, Louisiana; San Diego, California; Gales Ferry, Connecticut; Orlando, Florida; Panama City, Florida; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; Bayou Vista, Louisiana; Houma, Louisiana; Lafayette, Louisiana; New Iberia, Louisiana; New Orleans, Louisiana; Catumet, Massachusetts; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Austin, Texas; Corpus Christi, Texas; Clear Lake, Texas; Houston, Texas; Ingleside, Texas; and Chesapeake, Virginia.

Appatomax Deepwater Project

Shell Oil Company’s Appatomax project is an oil and gas project located in the Gulf of Mexico’s deep Norphlet geologic trend. Shell is the first company to make commercial discoveries in the area.

The project will ultimately “consist of a semi-submersible, four-column production host platform, a subsea system featuring six drill centers, 15 producing wells, and five water injection wells.” The project is expected to yield peak annual production of 175,000 barrels of oil.

Shell owns a 79% working interest in the area and will operate the well. Nexen Petroleum Offshore USA Inc. owns the other 21% working interest.

Offshore Diver Injured

A commercial diver filed a lawsuit in April 2017 alleging he was injured aboard the DSV Sun River while conducting a commercial diving operation. The claim, filed in the Eastern District of Louisiana against Legacy Offshore LLC, alleges that the man sustained central nervous system damages as a result of an injury he sustained in the hyperbaric chamber.

The injured offshore worker contends Legacy Offshore failed to implement a safe work plan and failed to provide necessary medical care.

Houston Offshore Injury Lawyers Assist Jones Act Seamen

Morrow & Sheppard LLP are privileged to represent injured Jones Act seamen and offshore workers of all stripes.

We handle cases on contingency fee, which means we only get paid when our clients win.

If you or a loved one has been injured offshore or on the high seas, please contact us now for a free consultation.

Our toll-free number is 1-800-489-2216, or you can fill out our online questionnaire for immediate assistance.

 

Sign Up For Our Personal Injury Newsletter

Stay up-to-date! Subscribe to our newsletter to learn about personal injury law, how it works, and protecting your legal rights. You'll receive free legal advice and links to helpful resources. Simply fill out the form below to get started.