Whether it is a commercial matter or a personal injury matter, ultimately the lawyers need to be prepared to try the case and win. Morrow & Sheppard have successfully handled complex commercial and business litigation matters of all types, ranging from disputes involving more than $1 billion to disputes involving less than $1 million. Their clients have historically ranged from Fortune 500 companies to individual business owners, officers, and directors. The firm’s corporate clients trust Morrow & Sheppard because they know the firm will be prepared to try the case if necessary, and will take all steps necessary to achieve the best possible outcome with the client’s financial and practical interests in mind. The firm particularly prides itself on being in the courtroom, and distilling complex legal and factual issues into simple and persuasive terms for the judge or jury.
Morrow & Sheppard proudly accepts new business matters, including the following types of disputes:
- Commercial Disputes
- Breach of Contract
- Energy / Oil and Gas Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Insurance Disputes
- Fiduciary Duty Disputes
- Construction Disputes
- Landlord-tenant Disputes
- Property Contamination
- Royalty Disputes
Morrow & Sheppard seek out contingency cases, but will discuss traditional-fee matters on a case by case basis.
Some examples of the commercial matters handled by the lawyers of Morrow & Sheppard are provided below:
ENERGY COMMERCIAL DISPUTES:
- Represented public oil and gas company sued for over $150 million in dispute alleging failed exploration activities spanning several years. Obtained full dismissal and handled appeal. Appellate court affirmed dismissal.
- Represented energy company in contract and fraud dispute seeking tens of millions of dollars for failed drilling and fracking program involving dozens of wells.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of public energy company plaintiff seeking damages in contract dispute regarding supply of offshore equipment spanning several years.
- Represented Fortune 50 energy company in pipeline contract dispute involving damages caused by defective pipe.
- Obtained injunction on behalf of oil refinery against joint venture partner in dispute involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of funds.
- Represented public energy company in contract lawsuit seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in connection with pipeline construction project.
- Obtained dismissal of federal and state lawsuits against fuel distribution and supply company arising from operations in Latin America.
- Represented energy company in arbitration dispute concerning West African offshore lease rights.
- Represented Fortune 50 company at arbitration proceeding stemming from claims in multiple-states and alleging tens of millions in damages caused by chemical manufacturing facilities.
- Represented offshore drilling contractor as plaintiff in nine-figure contract dispute arising from post-Macondo delivery of sixth-generation newbuild drilling rig; defendant rejected rig and alleged it was defective and delivered late; after nearly 3 years of litigation, case settled on favorable terms.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal in favor of energy company in biofuels trading dispute.
- Represented downstream oil and gas company in gas-to-liquids intellectual property dispute.
- Represented oilfield services company in pipeline construction dispute.
- Represented numerous oil companies, drilling companies, and oilfield services companies in a variety of maritime disputes.
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE DISPUTES:
- Represented public energy company and its officers in a lawsuit brought by preferred shareholders and bondholders alleging violations of securities laws and fraud.
- Represented public company in class action and derivative securities lawsuits alleging accounting and disclosure irregularities.
- Represented minority shareholder in closely held energy trading company in lawsuit alleging shareholder oppression.
- Represented company in dispute against former officers seeking millions for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Tried commercial arbitration for defendant Fortune 500 company in multimillion-dollar dispute arising from medical IT sales and services contract; following the hearing, fearful of adverse judgment and attorneys’ fees award, plaintiff dismissed all of its claims against the client.
- Tried Texas state district court case for defendant Fortune 500 airline in dispute arising from the airline’s alleged fraud, violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and breach of contract of carriage; jury returned a defense verdict.
- Represented venture capital fund in contractual dispute with entity that provided services to startup company; case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented marine equipment manufacturer in warranty and breach of contract dispute with customer; case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented major stock clearing corporation in commercial lawsuit arising from a stock dividend distribution; case settled on favorable terms
- Represented foreign company in lawsuit brought by mortgage-backed investment trust alleging tens of millions in damages for breach of contract and fraud.
- Represented logistics company seeking millions in damages for breach of contract and deceptive practices in connection with failed cargo-handling venture. Case settled on eve of trial on confidential terms.
- Represented financial accounting software company in fraud and breach of contract dispute in federal court against national distributor.
- Represented real estate development company seeking millions in dispute for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in connection with major commercial real estate transaction.
- Represented hospital in lawsuit for breach of contract involving millions of dollars in unpaid medical claims.
EMPLOYMENT RELATED DISPUTES:
- Represented publicly traded manufacturing company sued over incentive compensation for employees. Obtained dismissal and handled all aspects of appeal. Appellate court affirmed dismissal.
- Represented commodities trader in noncompetition and trade secret dispute with former employer.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of a human resources company against former employees regarding disclosure of trade secrets and confidential information.
- Represented services company in dispute with former officers and employees over bonus compensation.
- Defended former officers of technology company in dispute alleging breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and theft of trade secrets.
- Represented numerous commercial landlords and tenants in lease disputes.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in dispute with homeowners over alleged damage to land.
- Represented commercial tenants and pipeline companies in eminent domain disputes.
- Represented real estate developer in partnership dispute.
Get Your Free Case Evaluation